The weather is cooling down (Yay!) but that also means cold and flu "season" is coming. So how can you protect yourself and your family? How can you minimize the effects of the flu or shorten that cold if you do succumb to it? With food!
Let food be thy medicine and medicine by thy food” - Hypocrites
Below are many foods and herbs that boost the immune system and many have anti-viral properties, so by including as many as you can into your daily diet, you’re protecting yourself from the cold and flu viruses.
At the bottom, you’ll also find many foods and substances that bog down your immune system and many can even feed viruses, so you’ll also want to eliminate them from your diet and lifestyle if you do get sick.
A lot of this information has come from my learnings from Medical Medium. He has a free Healing Path resource on his website that is 34 audios with 18 action guides and 30 recipes to get you started healing from any ailment. I just recently finished listening to all of them and it was a TON of information and all for FREE, so check it out.
Foods and Substances That Boost The Immune System and Combat Viruses:
- Coconut oil - use to cook with, add to smoothies, use to make homemade toothpaste, deodorant, etc..
- Bananas - banana "nice" cream, put in smoothies, convenient snack
- Raw honey - sweeten beverages like tea, eat a spoonful before bed for deeper sleep
- Thyme - make tea, use to flavor veggie dishes
- Oregano - make tea, use to flavor veggie dishes
- Colloidal silver - take once you are already sick to help kill viruses
- Garlic - roast, put in salads, salad dressings, use to season meats and veggies
- Licorice root - make tea
- Olive leaf extract - take once you are already sick to help kill viruses
- Ester C (vitamin C supplement) - take to boost the immune system
- Oranges - convenient snack, peel and add to smoothies, make fresh orange juice
- Papaya - add to smoothies, put in a fruit salad, blend with mango to make a pudding
- Spinach - add to smoothies, put in salads
- Kale - put in salads, make kale chips
- Grapefruit - make fresh grapefruit juice, snack, add to a citrus salad with oranges
- Lemons - squeeze fresh juice into water to bring your water to life and bring your body back to an alkaline state, use in salad dressings
- Limes - squeeze fresh juice into water, use in marinade, salad dressings, smoothies, juices
- Figs - eat raw or dried
- Wild blueberries - add to smoothies, make popsicles, put in a fruit salad
- Asparagus - grill, steam, poach, eat raw
- Raspberries - fruit salad, smoothies, snack
- Strawberry - fruit salad, smoothies, snack
- Sweet potatoes - sweet potato bites (download) or fries, baked, shredded raw in salads
- Rosemary - use to season veggies or meat
- Sage - use to season veggies or meat
- Ginger water - add ginger to juices or flavor drinks or to flavor water, make tea
- Barley grass extract powder - add to smoothies or green drinks
- Zinc - supplement to boost the immune system (pumpkin and melon seeds are high in zinc)
- Elderberry syrup - see here how I make it, or buy it to boost the immune system
Foods and Substances That Bog Down the Immune System and Feed Viruses:
- Heavy metals - can leach into canned foods, in a lot of pesticides and herbicides
- Artificial sweeteners - use raw honey instead
- Fatty foods like pork products can slow down healing
- Bleach - don't add to your laundry as now your whole body is exposed through bleach residue on your clothes touching your skin (your largest organ)
- Toxic cleaners - I use vinegar and baking soda for the majority of my cleaning products
- Herbicides - go organic!
- Pesticides - go organic!
- Processed foods - not much room for these if you are trying to eat all the fruits and veggies mentioned above
- Chlorine - drink filtered water if you live in the city
- Fluoride - drink filtered water if you live in the city
- Air fresheners - use an essential oil diffuser if you must have one
Additional Ways To Boost The Immune System
- Exposure to sunlight
- Regularly getting enough sleep (typically 8 hours for an adult, more for children.)
- Fresh air
- Laughter - find ways to be happy
- Expressing gratitude
I hope this helps you and your family stay well this winter. Please share with your friends so we can all learn to live healthier, happier lives with foods.
With love, hugs and smiles,